Confessions of an Introvert

Hello, my name is Giselle and I am an introvert. Don’t laugh! People who know me will believe that I’ve fallen and bumped my head, but have no fear and hear me out.

First things first, let’s define the two terms: Extrovert and Introvert

Extrovert:
Dictionary.com

ex•tro•vert
an outgoing, gregarious person.
Psychology . a person characterized by extroversion; a person concerned primarily with the physical and social environment (opposed to introvert ).
adjective
Psychology . to direct (the mind, one's interest, etc.) outward or to things outside the self.

Dictionary.com UnabridgedBased on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.

Cultural Dictionary
extrovert [( ek -struh-vurt)]

A term introduced by the psychologist Carl Jung to describe a person whose motives and actions are directed outward. Extroverts are more prone to action than contemplation, make friends readily, adjust easily to social situations, and generally show warm interest in their surroundings. ( Compare introvert.)

American Psychological Association (APA):extrovert. (n.d.). The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. Retrieved August 19, 2013, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extrovert

Introvert:
Dictionary.com

in•tro•vert

a shy person.
Psychology . a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings (opposed to extrovert ).
to turn inward: to introvert one's anger.
Psychology . to direct (the mind, one's interest, etc.) partly to things within the self.

Dictionary.com UnabridgedBased on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2013.

Cultural Dictionary
introvert [( in -truh-vurt)]

A term introduced by the psychologist Carl Jung to describe a person whose motives and actions are directed inward. Introverts tend to be preoccupied with their own thoughts and feelings and minimize their contact with other people. ( Compare extrovert.)

American Psychological Association (APA):extrovert. (n.d.). The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. Retrieved August 19, 2013, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extrovert


After a quick dissection of the properties of both an extrovert and an introvert, I do have to admit that I am both.

As a child I was outgoing, a conversationalist, a story teller and yes, stubborn. I would strike up a conversation with just about anyone. I was an only child with plenty of friends. Those who know me from way back might even suggest that I could get the party started. But even as a child I cherished my space, my alone time, the quiet. I never desired siblings because I was not lonely. And for the record, the only thing that my Mom spoiled me with, was love. Reading was a passion of mine, a gift given to me by my Mother. I would submerge myself in books and through that I learned to write. These activities require isolation. Some may even say that reading and writing are often traits seen in an introvert.

Through a number of self evaluations, I realized that my introvert self pushed through as the dominant personality. I listen more than I speak and I tend to deal with my issues internally. And wait for this one; I don’t like to talk about myself. I find it difficult. Ok, now cue the laughing. I am much better at writing about what goes on in my life then actually talking about it. Part of me believes that it is my responsibility to deal with my ups and downs on my own. The other part of me feels that by sharing, I open myself up too much to the world. More laughing…That’s ok, I’m good with that. I often wonder why anyone would care to hear about my stuff. The people in my life need me to be strong, and through past experiences, I’ve realized that cracks in the armour do not always sit well with some. So I deal, dissect and repair the cracks usually alone.

I do think I’ve improved a great deal in this area even though talking about myself and I how I feel has become harder as I get older. I think my two sides need to work together, join forces and realize that it does not have to be one way or the other. Until that time my voice will be heard through my writing.

Comments

Popular Posts