Three weeks of Negativity, One moment of Clarity


How well do you know your child? Would you immediately become defensive if something negative was said about them?  How would you feel if that negativity stream continued on for not just one day, or three days, but lasted for three weeks?

How would you feel?  What would you do?  What if some of what that person was saying, was right?

The following truths apply to my daughter:

Yes, at times she is stubborn
Yes, at times she does not listen
Yes, at times she says the most inappropriate things (not often)
Yes, at times she is hyper
Yes, at times is loud

But I wonder how a person who has spent 3 weeks, Monday to Friday, 7:45am to 5pm does not see anything else in her.  Not to be too harsh, I did hear that Emma was pretty good sometimes.  This in adult words equates to “she was tolerable. Unfortunately that was the positive part of the discussion.  The final words were always negative.

So what am I to do?

For now I will follow Em’s lead.  She does not hold a grudge. She is loving and affectionate.  She is empathetic. She is an out of the box thinker. She meets everyday with an unexplainable joy. She forgives and can let go instantaneously.  She is one of the kindest people that I know.

I will remember that some people are sad and they do not realize that their sadness emanates from them. I will wish that person the best and hope that she can follow the lead of a unique, bright, fun, sweet and at times outrageous 5-year old.

Comments

Popular Posts