The Gratitude Jar Experiment


In January 2013, I read a status update on FB which focused on gratitude.  If you know me, then you know I believe 100%  in the power of gratitude and the power of thought. What you believe will come to pass and what you are grateful for will multiply. 

The update in question, discussed a specific way to record all that I would be thankful for throughout the upcoming year. It was a very simple method.

  • Find a mason jar.  (I’m being all fancy. Any jar will suffice)
  • When something takes place in your life that you are thankful for, write it down on a piece of paper and date it.
  • Fold that piece of paper and place in the jar.

Simple eh?!

These moments do not need to be grandiose. (I like that word.) Often they are small, quiet moments. 

Coffee in the morning. The munchkin is still asleep and I got to watch the sunrise. 

Laughed so hard with my kid while we watched Hotel Transylvania

Offered a new job, turned it down because I am happy where I am.

Been given one of the greatest gifts ever, Eric. 

By the end of the year I hope my jar is filled to the top. I am not always the best at remembering to write down all of my moments, but I am working on staying diligent because each one happens in a flash and I want to honour them by keeping a record.   The words written on my wall over my bed say it best:

“Life isn’t a matter of milestones but of moments.” Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

Comments

Popular Posts